Monday, April 9, 2012

SPE 210 - Post 3

“I’m an American of Italian descent,” he said. “I’m not an Italian-American.” (Malkin) These are the words of Joey Vento,  the grandson of Italian-born immigrants who owns Geno’s–the world-famous cheesesteak spot in South Philadelphia. Vento, as well as many others in our country, understand that in the end, we are all Americans. We all have a common bond which cannot be broken, unless you bring certain prejudices, discriminatory actions and words in the picture. My persuasive speech will be to "persuade people to understand the importance of one common language, spoken in any and all proprietorships and public areas, here in the United States". I will give evidential support that is both pro and con for this proposition and with different perspectives and arguments, give everyone the freedom to form their own opinion.

For a short portion of mankind's history, colonization was imperative in the construction, formation and industrialization of civilization in the New World. In present-day United States,  English was the national language spoken ultimately after Spanish and French secession.

"My ancestors had to learn English to get along in this country, why shouldn't the new immigrants have to do the same thing?" (de Vries, 2009) It can easily be agreed upon that at the turn of the 20th century, Italians began to immigrate into the United States. Just as the Irish, German, Scandinavian, Anglo-Saxon, Eastern Hemisphere etc. Some saw it as a pandemic, while others saw it as a wondrous time in history and gave us that "melting pot" reputation. For those who saw it as quite unfortunate, they looked at the cup half empty.

This was the American dream, that all wanted to enjoy. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, which all people are entitled too. However, what split most if not all ethnicity's and nationalities, was a common language. Most immigrants lived amongst their own and if you do not understand something, it naturally scares you, therefore splitting us Americans. If English were needed to learn upon arrival on Ellis Island, or at least taught, what could have been could have happened. A little less heartache, unnecessary conflicts, and an overall better attitude towards your countrymen.

"The principle of utility—that “actions are right in proportion as they tend to promote happiness; wrong as they tend to produce the reverse of happiness”—was the centerpiece of his ethical philosophy.” (Heydt, 2006) Some people will agree to disagree on this certain philosophy. Suppose that English was needed to communicate in public places and certain proprietorships. No miscommunication, misleading, and unnecessary conflicts of communication altogether to help everything run more smoothly.  The counterargument could be seen as a denial as of the first amendment which gives all man free speech, under certain circumstances. There is a huge grey area however, that can be squashed. Bilingualism is a great thing. Certain studies show higher IQ scores and an overall well-being. If it doesn't hurt then why not? However, when it comes to certain situations regarding commerce, academic institutions, or any public speaking whatsoever, English should be the language spoken for communication.

If I were to visit China, France, Italy etc. I would be expected to speak Chinese, French, Italian etc. Why should the United States be seen any differently? At one of my recent jobs, a man could speak only Spanish and being the fact that I am not- bilingual, I had no chance to help understand his concerns nor communicate in general with him. As much as I would love to learn a second language, preferably Spanish or Italian, I haven't but I do not necessarily see it as my fault considering our academic institutions never deemed it necessary to do so. I never once considered myself racist nor prejudice nor do I see this topic either as well. It seems rational and I, being optimistic, see this to make all issues in conflicts regarding this situation to run much smoother and swimmingly if this proposition were to be put into effect.

1 comment:

  1. Dante,
    I really like the philosophical ideas you bring into this in your discussion of the principle of utility. There are a couple of things I would like to read more about, though.

    You state: "I will give evidential support that is both pro and con for this proposition and with different perspectives and arguments, give everyone the freedom to form their own opinion." If you approach the speech from this perspective, it seems doubtful you will persuade them. To persuade, you are trying to convince the audience to side with you, to agree with your position. Just a thought.

    Just curious: You wrote: "Just as the Irish, German, Scandinavian, Anglo-Saxon, Eastern Hemisphere etc." What was the rest of your thought about this?

    ReplyDelete